FORS Van Smart Driver CPC Course
June 12 @ 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Van Smart is a Transport for London (TfL) backed driver training programme that aims to reduce work related road risks, improve safety and create long-term behavioural change in the van sector.
The course is delivered in two sections comprising of a 3.5 hour classroom theory module and a 3.5 hour practical cycling module, where van drivers experience a cyclist’s view of the road, with both modules delivered on the same day.
The course meets the requirements of Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (DCPC) and is JAUPT approved as a 7 hour credit towards DVSA Periodic Training. If you require 7 hours to be uploaded to the DVSA database a payment of £8.75 is required on the day.
Van Smart Training is DCPC accredited and fully aligned to meet the requirements of:
- FORS Silver
- Work Related Road Risk (WRRR)
- Construction Logistics & Community Safety (CLOCS) Standard
- The changing streetscape and the urban environment
- Vulnerable road users and sharing the road safely
- Defensive driving techniques and understand vehicle safety equipment and how to maintain its effectiveness
- Exchanging places, driver attitude and perception
- Introduction to active travel, driver fitness and health
- Hazard recognition: understanding the issues faced by vulnerable road users
In London, vans account for 80% of all road freight mileage. 10% of road traffic incidents involve a van and 11% of these incidents result in serious injury or fatality. A DVSA (then VOSA) report revealed that many vans fail their MOT first time and 89% of those stopped were found to be overweight.